I AM ONE!
Banner Designed by Twoscoopz
I began blogging at the beginning of July 2009 and I honestly can’t believe it’s been a year already. But what a year it’s been! I’ve interviewed some wonderful authors, met some awesome bloggers, in person as well as online, read and reviewed lots of amazing books – yep, I’ve had a ball!
I’ve really enjoyed interacting with all my readers on my blog and on twitter – I’ve loved all your comments and feedback immensely, I cannot get across how much it means to me that you take the time out of your busy day to visit my blog, thank you. To show my appreciation *the only way us bloggers know how* is by giving away lots of yummy books! So, make sure you read about the giveaways at the bottom of this post
Because of Book Chick City, I’ve also attended a few great events, the two that come to mind are World Horror Con where I met James Herbert (!!!) and interviewed Kelley Armstrong (!!!). What an awesome day! The other is the Headline Party where I met some great bloggers (Jenny from Wondrous Reads, Dot from Dot Scribbles, Carla from The Crooked Shelf, Liz from My Favourite Books, to name a few) and the lovely publicists I deal with on a regular basis. It really was nice to put names to faces. I’ve also met a few authors along the way too and they’ve all been delightfully friendly. I’ve also been amazed at the generosity of the publishers and authors who’ve sent me books to review. Thank you.
So, because of all this awesomeness, I decided to write a post to record my first fabulous year…
- Launch of Book Chick City
- First author interview: Jane Davis
- First book received for review from publisher: Angels of Destruction by Keith Donohue (Jonathan Cape)
- First Book Signing: Conrad Williams (horror writer)
- First Blog Award given by Jessica @ A Book Lover’s Diary
- First reading challenge: 100+ hosted by J Kaye’s Book Blog.
- On launching my blog at Maw Books – my first guest post, and was I nervous!
- Launch of new blog design for Book Chick City
- My first All Hallow’s Eve event. This was just so much fun and I was really pleased with how successful it was – It will be returning this year, hopefully bigger and better, so keep a look out for the announcement post! 😀
- Talking reviews with Fiction Vixen
- Introduction of weekly meme On My Wishlist
- Introduction New Blogs on the Block, which is now hosted by Larissa’s Life.
- Book Chick City survey. Very interesting results, and although I haven’t implemented all suggestions I hope that I have incorporated the majority since the survey ran.
- General Post – Freeloaders? I don’t think so! – This was my very first post which reflected my feelings (other than book reviews) about different topics.
- Being voted 6th in Best Blogs 2009 hosted by Natalie from Mindful Musings
- My first Christmas Week event – this will be back!
- Hosting my own ‘Reading Challenges‘
- General Post – To eRead or not to eRead?
- Launch of ‘Where Stories Are Made‘ feature – I love this feature! I really enjoy reading about authors and their daily lives and taking a sneak peek at the places they write. So far WSAM has been really popular and I hope it continues
- Hosted ‘Be My Valentine‘, a weekend event for the holiday of lurve 😉
- General Post: YA Fiction: Category or Genre?
- General Post: ARC’s: Sooner or Later?
- Guest post talking about zombies at Headline Publishing blog
- Hosted ‘The Men of Urban Fantasy Week‘ highlighting male writers in a female dominated genre. I really enjoyed this week, it was a lot of fun and discovered many new authors.
- Attended my first publishing event at Headline HQ – was a lot of fun and I met some really wonderful people.
- Attended my very first con – World Horror Con. Such an awesome weekend. Interviewed Kelley Armstrong in person and then met James Herbert – BIG highlight
- General Post: Reviews: Long or Short?
- Interview at Temple Library Reviews
- Attended my second con of the year: Odyssey 2010 (eastercon)
- New team member announced: Laura joined BCC as a regular reviewer to help with my ever growing review pile.
- Hosted my ‘House of Night‘ Week – great fun reading the entire series by P. C. & Kristin Cast.
- General Post: Blog Promotion: Yay or Nay?
- New features launched: ‘Books We Love‘ and ‘The Blogger’s Bookshelf‘.
- General Post – Genre Misconceptions: Have you ever been wrong? – May saw me read a true romance novel, which, after 20-odd years of completely avoiding the genre, I absolutely loved it and have subsequently become a bit obsessed with the genre, especially Historical Romance. This post explores my reluctance and my journey.
- Hosted my first YA event: ‘10 Fun Days of Young Adult Fiction‘ – it was a lot of fun but by the end of what became 12 days I was ready to get back to my adult books 😉
- UK vs US Cover Smackdown with Rebecca at the fab Dirty Sexy Books
- Interview at The Book on the Hill in Charlotte’s lovely feature Book Blogging Around the World.
- Twitter: 2256
- Goodreads: 1117
- Blog: 1027
- Facebook: 666
When I joined Technorati I seemed to hang around the top 50 for a month or so, but since February of this year I’ve managed to stay, most of the time, in the top 10 – which I think is pretty cool But over the last couple of weeks I managed to climb higher than ever before and reached the top spot! Here are my stats:
- Highest Ranking in Books: 1st (out of approx. 2000 blogs)
- Highest Ranking in Entertainment: 40th (out of approx. 6000 blogs)
- Highest Authority in Books: 963/1000
- Highest Authority in Entertainment: 709/1000
- Highest Authority Overall: 589/1000
Yes, I know… I’m very sad for taking pics, but I was just so ticked pink I had to record it 😉
- I’ve written 601 posts.
- I’ve posted 89 reviews.
- I’ve held 45 giveaways (35 being international!).
Top three most popular giveaways:
- Complete set of House of Night series – 468 entries
- Copy of Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce – 425 entries.
- Signed copy of Tales of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong – 394 entries
Most Popular Post: Genre Misconceptions: Have you ever been wrong?
Most Popular Challenge: Thriller & Suspense 2010
With 226 participants, the Thriller & Suspense Reading Challenge is my most popular. Runner up is Typically British Reading Challenge with 119 participants.
Highest Ranking Referral Blog: Dirty Sexy Books – At the time of writing this post Rebecca’s blog Dirty Sexy Books is my highest referral blog – thanks Rebecca!
Visiting Countries: 126
Events Hosted by BCC:
- 10 Fun Days of Young Adult Fiction (June 2010)
- The Men of Urban Fantasy Week (March 2010)
- House of Night Week (April 2010)
- Be My Valentine (Feb 2010)
- Christmas Week (Dec 2009)
- All Hallow’s Eve (Oct 2009)
Highlights/Milestones in First Year:
- World Horror Con (2010) *meeting James Herbert – eeek!*
- BBAW 2009 and being nominated for Best New Blog *so chuffed and honoured*
- Headline Blogger Party (2010)
- Reaching 10,000 monthly visitors
- Reaching 2000 twitter followers
- Reaching 1000 blog followers
- Top Ten Best Blogs 2009 – Hosted by Mindful Musings (I came 6th)
- Meeting & Interviewing Kelley Armstrong at World Horror Con!
MY ULTIMATE BLOGIVERSARY GIVEAWAY!!
Six Days of Prizes!
I have some fab prizes to be won, thanks to the generosity of the following publishers:
Simon & Schuster
Because my readers are from all over the world, the following giveaways will be International. I will be posting a giveaway everyday starting tomorrow to celebrate Book Chick City’s first year! Check out the goodies:
• Gaiman Goodie Bag: Stardust, American Gods & Stories: All New Tales
• Johannes Cabal the Detective by Jonathan L. Howard
• Blood Noir by Laurell K. Hamilton
• The Dark Goddess by Sarwat Chadda
The Midnight Charter by David Whitley
• The Children of the Lost by David Whitley
• TimeRiders 1 by Alex Scarrow
• TR: Day of the Predator by Alex Scarrow
• Frostbitten by Kelley Armstrong
• The Iron Hunt by Marjorie M. Lui
• The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld
• 10 copies of Water Bound by Christine Feehan
• The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf
• Hannah’s List by Debbie Macomber
• Just Breathe by Susan Wiggs
• Divine by Choice by P.C. Cast
• The Darkest Kiss by Gena Showalter
Simon & Schuster Bundle
• Two sets of The Spellman Files (first 3 books in series)
So make sure you come back tomorrow for the first giveaway!