Where Stories Are Made‘ is a regular feature here at Book Chick City. It’s where the author takes us on a tour of their writing place, be it an office, coffee shop or park and tells us about their writing day and rituals.

My guest today is Penny Watson, author of paranormal romance

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Carolyn, thanks so much for having me as a guest on your blog today!

Christmas is my favorite time of year. Lights sparkle, the scent of cinnamon and cloves fills the house, presents pile up under the tree, and the kids are giddy with anticipation. Since I am currently writing a holiday series about the five sexy sons of Santa Claus, I need to be immersed in the Christmas spirit all year long, 365 days a year, even when it’s a hot and muggy August day in New England. I want my books to embody that wonderful Christmas excitement and joy, including the romance and magic of the North Pole.

How do I accomplish this? Well, my writing environment is over-flowing with holiday decor. It’s a mish mash of ornaments, wreaths, a snowman collection, a miniature evergreen tree, and my most prized holiday decorations….hand-me-downs from my Nana. My favorites include the musical elves and the antique Christmas trees. If only I could get a gingerbread latte from Starbucks in August, then I’d be all set! :)

I work at a desktop computer every day. Although I attempted to be more flexible by getting a laptop, I discovered that I need complete quiet to work. So dragging the laptop to the park is out of the question. The only time I can really concentrate on my writing is when my kids (Cristian, age 13, and Natalie, age 8) are off at school. Once the clock strikes three, my house is invaded by a gaggle of second grade girls who want to look at puppy photos on the computer, and a posse of middle school boys who consume dozens of pizzas while playing video games. In other words, there isn’t a lot of peace and quiet going on at my house in the afternoon!

My kids and their friends share the office with me, so my computer space is frequently covered with glitter, legos, science homework projects and drawings. It’s a constant battle to keep my work area clutter free and focused on romance writing!

My trusty companion during the day is Lucy, my miniature long-haired dachshund. She’s a real sweet pea and luckily very easy-going.

Since I had a heart attack in August, my daily schedule has changed. I no longer sit in front of the computer for 8-10 hours a day. Now, I walk in the morning, write for a bit, walk again at lunch time, write for a bit, then try to fit in one or two more walks before bedtime. Exercising and eating a heart-healthy diet have become my priorities every day. Walking is the best time for brainstorming story ideas. I see entire scenes in my head, including dialogue. In fact, if I get to a point where I’m struggling with my writing, I head outside to walk and that usually clears up the problem.

I don’t work on my WIP during the month of December. Instead, I am busy promoting my Christmas books, doing blog tours and interviews, etc. I’m also busy baking Christmas cookies with Natalie, trimming the tree, shopping, and mailing out cards. Since I love Christmas so much, I don’t want my “work” to interfere with enjoying the holiday. Once January rolls around, I’m ready to get back to my latest installment of the Klaus Brothers.

My favorite part of writing is hearing from readers who loved my book! Especially when they tell me it was the perfect way to celebrate Christmas. That’s the ultimate compliment for me. My main goal for The Klaus Brothers Series is to create a magical and romantic world where Santa and his sons make Christmas dreams come true. Even though it might look sort of strange to someone visiting my office in the summer-time, my holiday decorations stay up all year long. I need the inspiration!

Thanks for letting me visit! I hope you and all of your readers have a festive holiday season.
All my best,
Penny

Sweet Inspiration is available for sale on Amazon Kindle. Sweet Magik will be released next Christmas (2011). Check out the book blurb and an excerpt on my website. A free teaser for Sweet Adventure is also available on my website.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Sweet Inspiration: Out Now

You can find out more about this feature HERE

**Next time on ‘Where Stories Are Made’: Jaine Fenn**

View Shedule Page for full author listing!

Tagged with

Carolyn

Carolyn created Book Chick City in July 2009 due to her love of books. A Brit chick obsessed with zombies, kick-arse chicks and sexy heroes. She's also seriously addicted to chocolate, shopping, and speciality teas (Teapigs anyone?). Her favourite genres are Urban Fantasy, Romance and Zombie Lit... Brrraaaaiiinnnnsss!

Jennifer (An Abundance of Books) December 23, 2010 at 10:57 am

I never really thought about a Christmas series, that takes most of the year to work on, requiring year round Christmas inspiration. Love the seasonal office!

book stores hyderabad December 23, 2010 at 11:59 am

the most awaited Christmas week is already on have fun thanks for your post

Laura Summers December 23, 2010 at 1:50 pm

As I always I'm a sucker for dogs – I love Lucy ;)
It must be fun to write about Christmas all the time. It's one of my most favourite times of the year!

Julia Rachel Barrett December 23, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Oh what a great post! I love Lucy…she is so adorable! She would be my writing companion too. And I like your space – so sunny…and your floors – love the way the wood looks when the sun shines through the windows.
I think you have a great schedule. Walking does make the brain work better. Thoughts seem to flow – too bad we can't carry a brain-recorder with us.
I think I'm going to make your books a new holiday tradition also – unusual, but pretty cool!
Kiss your kids for me!

GABY December 23, 2010 at 4:04 pm

You know I loved your book :D But I also loved Lucy, hehehe. She's so cute!

Take care of your health so you could write for many many years!

Blodeuedd December 23, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Great post :D
Awww the doggie looks very adorable

Book Chick City December 23, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Thanks so much for writing such a great post Penny. And I agree with all the other comments here, Lucy is adorable and I love her Christmas hat! Your home looks beautiful too – Merry Christmas :)

linaramz December 23, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I always love reading "Where Stories are Made" posts! Thanks Penny for sharing!

Penelope December 23, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Hi everyone! This was such a fun post to write. Thanks to Carolyn for inviting me on her blog.

Lucy is a great companion except for one small problem. She has an OCD issue….obsessive licking! It drives me nuts. She is always trying to lick my hands or feet (and everyone who walks into our house, too). Other than that, she is a great little buddy.

Merry Christmas to Everyone!
Penny

E.J. Stevens December 23, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Lucy is soooo adorable! Thanks for sharing. :)
xx,
E.J.
From the Shadows

Lisa@ButteryBooks December 23, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I agree with the walking to clear the head. I have to do that several times a day! Thanks for the post!

Margaret Tanner December 23, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Hi Penny,
Great interview. Christmas all year round, now that sounds good, well not for the waistline anyway. How fascinating writing Christmas stories no matter what time of the year it is. A wonderful idea. I wish you much success with it.

Regards

Margaret

Melissa (Books and Things) December 23, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Love the pup! too cute!

Hope you have good health from here on out!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com December 24, 2010 at 3:06 am

Love it! I love Christmas too!

I love your puppy! SOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute :) I have an obsessive licking dog too ;)

Penny rocks!

For everyone who hasn't tried Sweet Inspiration, pick it up now. It's a perfect holiday treat.