On My Wishlist (#86)

On My Wishlist is a fun weekly event hosted by Book Chick City and runs every Saturday. It’s where we list all the books we desperately want but haven’t actually bought yet. They can be old, new or forthcoming. It’s also an event that you can join in with too – Mr Linky is always at the ready for you to link your own ‘On My Wishlist’ post. If you want to know more click here.
CAROLYN’S WISHLIST
Another fab looking/sounding urban fantasy series!

Royal Street (Sentinels of New Orleans #1)
Suzanne Johnson (Tor)
Publication Date: April 2012

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Summary:

As the junior wizard sentinel for New Orleans, Drusilla Jaco’s job involves a lot more potion-mixing and pixie-retrieval than sniffing out supernatural bad guys like rogue vampires and lethal were-creatures. DJ’s boss and mentor, Gerald St. Simon, is the wizard tasked with protecting the city from anyone or anything that might slip over from the preternatural beyond.
Then Hurricane Katrina hammers New Orleans’ fragile levees, unleashing more than just dangerous flood waters.
While winds howled and Lake Pontchartrain surged, the borders between the modern city and the Otherworld crumbled. Now, the undead and the restless are roaming the Big Easy, and a serial killer with ties to voodoo is murdering soldiers sent to help the city recover.
To make it worse, Gerald St. Simon has gone missing, the wizards’ Elders have assigned a grenade-toting assassin as DJ’s new partner, and undead pirate Jean Lafitte wants to make her walk his plank. The search for Gerry and the killer turns personal when DJ learns the hard way that loyalty requires sacrifice, allies come from the unlikeliest places, and duty mixed with love creates one bitter gumbo. (Goodreads)

This one looks pretty good…I’m not reading as much YA as I used to, but this does sound interesting.
Struck
Jennifer Bosworth (Farrar, Straus & Giroux)
Publication Date: May 2012

Genre: Science Fiction
Young Adult

Summary:

When Los Angeles is devastated by a catastrophic earthquake, seventeen-year-old human lightning rod, Mia Price, finds herself at the center of a power struggle between two fanatical doomsday cults, one that wants to save the world, and one that wants to destroy it… and she will be the deciding factor in which cult succeeds at their aim. (Goodreads)

LAURA’S WISHLIST

I came across this book while on Goodreads. A few people have posted early reviews, and it looks amazing. I love the mix of magic and intrigue and of course the promise of a good love story.

In The Night Circus

Erin Morgernstern (DoubleDay)
Publication Date: September 2012

Genre: Fantasy

Summary:

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.
But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.
True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.
Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart. (Goodreads)

This book’s not out until next year, so there’s still a bit of a wait to go. Firstly, I think the cover is just gorgeous! But, I’m intrigued by the world the author has created, there’s something almost a bit Greek Mythology-esque about it.

Everneath (Everneath #1)
Brodi Ashton (Harper Collins)

Publication Date: Jan 2012

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Young Adult

Summary:

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she’s returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld… this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there’s a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he’ll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki’s time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she’s forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole’s…(Goodreads)

So that’s what’s on our wishlists – what’s on yours?

Carolyn

Carolyn created Book Chick City in July 2009 due to her love of books. A Brit chick obsessed with zombies, kick-arse chicks and sexy heroes. She's also seriously addicted to chocolate, shopping, and speciality teas (Teapigs anyone?). Her favourite genres are Urban Fantasy, Romance and Zombie Lit... Brrraaaaiiinnnnsss!

Bungle August 27, 2011 at 9:12 am

Some great looking books you're wishing for!

Sabrina August 27, 2011 at 10:56 am

"Struck" looks great. I saw the cover and the synopsis for it yesterday for the first time and immediately wanted to read the book.

Amy @ Turn the Page August 27, 2011 at 11:00 am

The Night Circus is on my wishlist as well :) Though not in this weeks post lol!

Book Reviews From The Basement August 27, 2011 at 11:16 am

I forgot to add The Night Circus on my wishlist. I saw the book trailer only days ago. How could I forget? I must add it next time. It do sounds really interesting!:)

Mel August 27, 2011 at 11:17 am

Royal Street sounds like it's right up my, well, street! Plus I love anything set in New Orleans! (I will get there one there…)

Safari Poet August 27, 2011 at 11:45 am

Great choices! I really want Everneath, The Night Circus and Struck as well. This is the first time I've heard of Royal Street, but it sounds interesting.

On My Wislist

shazjera August 27, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Everneath has intrigued me….. I want to find out more. Great choice!

Melissa (Books and Things) August 27, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Sweet! We both added Royal Street this week. Great minds and all… ;)

Barbara August 27, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Everneath's been on my wishlist too. :) I'm reading The Night Circus right now (My Goodreads widget says I am, although I've sort of only cracked open the cover and stuck my bookmark in so far. lol)

My Wishlist

Lori August 27, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Royal Street and Struck look like something I would enjoy reading. This is the first I have heard of them, so thanks for the heads up, I will be on the look out for them. Good luck, I hope you get them.

Nimue August 27, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Struck sounds great. Haven't heard about it, yet. But it will definitely go on my TBR pile

Book Reviews From The Basement August 27, 2011 at 1:44 pm

OOOps! I linked a wrong post for the Mr Linky. I'm so sorry about that! I linked it to the My Goals For The Weekend instead of On my wishlist. Sorry for the mistake. I didn't notice it before now;)

A Simple Love of Reading August 27, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Those all sound great! I want to read Everneath too!

ashelynn hetland August 27, 2011 at 3:21 pm

ooh! i'm really looking forward to STRUCK, EVERNEATH, and THE NIGHT CIRCUS.

April August 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm

They all look like great books! "Everneath" has been on my wishlist, too.

Peggy August 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm

The Night Circus and Everneath look great! Both are on my wishlist as well.

kay - Infinite Shelf August 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Great wishlist! I want to read Everneath and the Night Circus, too. And now I'll have to add Struck, which sounds interesting too!

Diana (Book of Secrets) August 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I love the cover of Everneath – gorgeous red dress. :)

Book Savvy Babe August 27, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Hey! Great picks this week for wish list, I haven't been able to join in for awhile, so I'm glad I'm back this week! Book Savvy Babe

Chelsea August 27, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I just got a copy of The Night Circus! So excited to start it.

Tia August 27, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Everyone has some really great picks!!

Tia @ Falling For Books

Monaliz August 27, 2011 at 6:29 pm

My first On My Wishlist! :)

Maria Behar August 27, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Hi, Carolyn and Laura!!

OH.MY.GOSH. You guys have some absolutely AMAZING picks this week!! I want them ALL!!

The fact that "Royal Street" throws Hurricane Katrina into the mix makes it especially intriguing!

"Struck" has a very original plot. I've never come across a human lightning rod in fiction before!

As for "In the Night Circus"…well, September is just around the corner, so I'll be watching out for its release. I need to immerse myself in this story for sure!!

And now…"Everneath"! I'm not surprised it sounds like it has elements of Greek mythology, because it's basically a retelling of the Greek myth of Persephone. This is one of my favorite Greek myths! I recently read "Abandon", by Meg Cabot, another retelling of the myth, and LOVED it. The difference with "Everneath" is that it includes a love triangle, which "Abandon" doesn't.

These are all going on my Goodreads bookshelves!!! THANKS, YOU GUYS!!! : )

Here's my OMW post:

Hannah Mariska August 27, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I can't wait for In The Night Circus to come out next month either! Great choices.

pussreboots August 27, 2011 at 10:20 pm

This week I'm wishing for a new book by Sarah Weeks. Please come see what it is.

Mia August 27, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I want STRUCK and EVERNEATH so bad! I absolutely adore both covers. STRUCK looks like it belongs in a movie theater! The cover is that epic. It's amazing the kind of covers they're coming with these days. They're so stunning.

Cassandra August 28, 2011 at 4:17 am

If you stop by at My Wishlist I have Everneath by Brody Ashton too. I'm thrilled for that book.

Book Chick City August 28, 2011 at 9:23 am

THANKS FOR STOPPING BY AND COMMENTING GUYS – I'M GLAD YOU LIKE OUR CHOICES THIS WEEK! :D

Raimy-rawr August 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Ive seen the Night Circus around a lot and I think it sounds intriguing! I hope you get round to getting these books soon!! :D

Dazzling Mage August 29, 2011 at 10:51 am

Oooh, I'm really curious about The Night Circus! Great wishlist!