I’m pleased to welcome author Stephanie Chong to the blog today. Where Demons Fear to Tread is her debut paranormal romance novel, and the first in The Company of Angels series published by Mira Books. So, please give a warm welcome to Stephanie.
I love to travel – exploring cultures and places always gives me fresh inspiration for my writing. The places on my top ten list are here because I have a sentimental connection to them, not necessarily because I think they’re the best or most exciting tourist destinations. There are still so many places I haven’t visited that I’d love to see!
1. Vancouver, Canada - Home is where the heart is. I love living in Vancouver because of its proximity to nature. Surrounded by the ocean and the mountains, this city continually inspires me.
2. Oahu, Hawaii - My husband and I got married on Oahu in 2010. Apart from that, the reason I love this island is that there are a thousand ways to unwind. You can enjoy the buzz of city life in Honolulu, or watch the masters surf the Pipeline on the North Shore, or snorkel off the pristine beaches.
3. Oxford, England - The City of Dreaming Spires is a place of extraordinary beauty and of learning. Oxford has also provided a great deal of personal inspiration for me, as I completed my master’s in Creative Writing here.
4. Beijing, China - I’m Chinese-Canadian, but had never been to China until I was in my mid-twenties. I spent a month backpacking around the country, and then a month in Beijing, studying beginner’s Mandarin. My Chinese language skills remain extremely basic, but I got to explore the country and really fell in love with it. Beijing was my favorite city in China, but likely because I spent the most time there.
5. Lyon, France - I completed my last semester of law school in Lyon, at the Université Jean-Moulin III. There are obviously more popular French destinations, like Paris or the South of France, but I loved my time as an exchange student. Lyon is a city I’ll never forget.
6. Los Angeles, California - My debut novel, Where Demons Fear to Tread, is partially set in LA. I chose the setting for practical reasons, not only because LA is the “City of Angels,” but because my sister lives here and I know it the better than any other American city.
7. Kampala, Uganda - My husband works extensively in Uganda, and it holds a very special meaning for us. I was privileged to be able to accompany him on a trip to Uganda in 2010, and was completely won over by the warmth of the people and their ability to overcome adversity.
8. New York City - New York fascinates me for all the obvious reasons: its theater and art museums, its phenomenal restaurants. I’m always amazed at the sheer volume of people who live and work here, and love the ethnic diversity the city encompasses.
9. Yucatán Peninsula, Mexico - Underwater cenotes (caves), ancient Mayan ruins like Chichen Itza and Tulum, gorgeous beaches and a vibrant culture…the Yucatán holds so much to explore.
10. Venice, Italy - Venice is a city of incomparable beauty, romance and mystery. I love Venice so much that my second book, The Demoness of Waking Dreams, is set in here.
Stephanie worked as a lawyer at a top-tier Canadian firm and completed five university degrees before landing her dream job: romance novelist. Her degrees include a J.D. and a Ph.D. from the University of Toronto, and a Master’s in Creative Writing from Oxford University. When she’s not writing, Stephanie enjoys yoga, traveling and outdoor adventures. She lives in Vancouver with her husband and their pug, Dexter.
I have a copy of paranormal romance, Where Demons Fear To Tread to give away to one lucky winner! This giveaway is International and ends Wed 16th Nov 2011
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED