MADELEINE ROUX received her BA in Creative Writing and Acting from Beloit College in 2008. In the spring of 2009, Madeleine completed an Honors Term at Beloit College, proposing, writing and presenting a full-length historical fiction novel. Shortly after, she began the experimental fiction blog Allison Hewitt Is Trapped. Allison Hewitt Is Trapped quickly spread throughout the blogosphere, bringing a unique serial fiction experience to readers.
Born in Minnesota, she now lives and works in Wisconsin where she enjoys the local beer and preparing for the eventual and inevitable zombie apocalypse.
No shotgun? No chainsaw? No problem. Surviving the zombie apocalypse isn’t all about having the right weaponry. While blades and boom sticks will help in a sticky undead situation, there are plenty of ways to increase your odds of survival without going broke stocking up the armory. Here are a few cheap, quick ways to pump up your preparedness.
- Traps are a cheap, effective way to zombie-proof your property. Zombies aren’t the smartest kids on the block – just dig a few holes, cover with flimsy tarps and leaves, and you’re ready to go. For extra safety, throw a few broken bottles in the holes. Couldn’t hurt, right?
- Have a plan for when the electricity goes out. Dysentery and hypothermia kill, too. Don’t underestimate the importance of a generator or a way to boil your water and heat your food. And really, who wants to eat cold beans? That’s adding insult to apocalyptic injury.
- Keep your friends close and your enemies outside a locked door. Do you want some enterprising jerk to steal all your rations in the middle of the night? They were charming, I know, and had cute dimples, but we all need to eat. Make sure you’re hunkered down with trustworthy folks.
- Never leave home – or your safe house – without cards. Boredom can make sane people do crazy things. Bring a deck of cards, a handful of dice or that beat-up box of Candyland. It might not seem critical when the undead are nipping at your heels, but you’ll thank me later.
- Have fun. Nobody wants to sit in a basement eating canned rations with a grump. So your next door neighbor is missing their jaw or ate your cat? Maybe you saw the twins across the street tear into an old man like he was a walking chili cheese dog. It happens. Trust me, if you’re sulking too much you’ll be the first one volunteered to make that dangerous run down the block for more food. Things could be better sure, but they could also be worse – you could be one of the walking dead.
Headline are kindly giving away FIVE (5) copies of Allison Hewitt is Trapped the first novel in Madeleine Roux’s zombie series to five lucky winners. (I’ve read it and it’s fantastic (9/10), so this is an awesome prize!)
We are giving THREE copies to THREE UK winners and TWO copies to TWO INTERNATIONAL winners. This giveaway ends Friday 25th November 2011
To enter please follow instructions below.
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED