Debut Author Spotlight is a new feature here on Book Chick City. We will be showcasing a debut author each fortnight from the genres of horror, urban fantasy and paranormal romance. We will give you all the relevant book information as well as an insight into the ‘author behind the book’.
James Dawson grew up in West Yorkshire, writing imaginary episodes of DOCTOR WHO. He later turned his talent to journalism, interviewing bands such as Steps and Atomic Kitten before writing for a Brighton newspaper. Until recently, James worked as a teacher, specialising in PSHCE. He is most proud of his work surrounding anti-bullying and family diversity. He now writes full time in London. In his spare time, he still loves DOCTOR WHO and is a keen follower of horror films and connoisseur of pop music.
James Dawson’s debut novel, “Hollow Pike”, is a darkly comic high school thriller set in a small town with a sinister history of witchcraft. ‘Hollow Pike’ is released Feb 2012 from Indigo. James currently writes full time and lives in London.
RELEASE DATE: Feb 2012 | PUBLISHER: Indigo | GENRE: Paranormal, Young Adult
Something wicked this way comes… She thought she’d be safe in the country, but you can’t escape your own nightmares, and Lis London dreams repeatedly that someone is trying to kill her. Lis thinks she’s being paranoid – after all who would want to murder her? She doesn’t believe in the local legends of witchcraft. She doesn’t believe that anything bad will really happen to her. You never do, do you? Not until you’re alone in the woods, after dark – and a twig snaps… Hollow Pike – where witchcraft never sleeps. (Feb 2012, Indigo, UK)
TEN THINGS ABOUT ME
- Until last year, I was a teacher in Brighton. I mostly taught Year 5 and 6 and specialised in PSHCE. That means I was able to work on projects surrounding bullying and family diversity. I’m really looking forward to being able to continue this work on author visits – high schools need more emphasis on personal and social education.
- Music is so important to me and my writing – I always listen while I work. My first writing ‘job’ was music reviews for my university newspaper. I am a connoisseur of quality pop music – what I don’t know about Girls Aloud isn’t worth knowing. I still spend a fortune on music, mainly female-fronted electro-pop to be specific.
- In fact, I used to be the lead singer in an electro-clash band. It started as a joke, but I think we were quite good in the end. The best part was writing the songs, and it was that process that really got me back into creative writing.
- I am, and always was, a massive TV geek. Doctor Who was my first love, but I also have time for True Blood, Sex and the City and my current favourite, American Horror Story. If I’m being really honest, I would also be qualified to write a series companion to America’s Next Top Model, but let’s keep that between us, eh?
- Before teaching, I studied Psychology at Bangor (the hometown of fictional Lis in Hollow Pike). I got a 1st and specialised in Health and Child Psychology.
- I have five tattoos, only one of which is public. I have another planned.
- My ideal dinner party guests would be Lady Gaga, John Waters, Russell T Davies, Mary Portas, Nicola Roberts and Tina Fey. And Jake Gyllenhaal. Sadly, with my cooking skills, I would have the whole thing catered by Nandos and I would forbid olives, which are the devil’s food.
- Throughout university I was in a drama troupe called Rostra. We did versions of Clue and Some Like It Hot, but we were best known for sketch shows – which I also used to write for. The low-point was a very poorly attended Edinburgh Fringe show where I had to employ a wandering American accent and snog girls.
- I am a huge fan of horror films, particularly the quite poor ones from the 80s. Wes Craven is my icon. That said, if I could only watch one film for the rest of my life it would be Labyrinth starring David Bowie.
- Finally, the worst thing I ever did was get a little tipsy and post some chips through the letterbox of a local shop. I thought the staff might like them for breakfast. I am deeply ashamed and was petrified that the whole encounter may have ended up on CCTV.
Thanks to Indigo, I have THREE (3) copies of Hollow Pike to give away to three lucky winners!
This giveaway in UK ONLY and ends 30th March 2012
Please follow the instructions below
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED