I’m pleased to welcome author Shawntelle Madison to the blog today. Shawntelle’s debut paranormal romance novel, Coveted, featuring a hoarding heroine, is released April 24th by Ballantine Books. Please give her a warm welcome.
The heroine in my book, Coveted, collects holiday ornaments. She fills up boxes of her treasures and stacks them along the walls of her home. I don’t have the same interests as Nat—I do have plenty of Christmas decorations, but I sure have ten other things I’d love to collect in my home.
1. Gold - Diamonds are a girl’s best friend, but have you seen a bar of gold? Held that heavy bar of happiness in your hand? I think I’d stack up the gold along the walls and tell the kids to pretend it’s a brand new type of wallpaper. I could even melt a few bars to make silverware for the house. Or should I say goldware…
2. Books - Books, glorious books! There’s just something about getting lost in an author’s book or connecting with an interesting character. Yes, they could have been number one, but books cannot be made into silverware and they can’t be made into rings – not in a good way anyway.
The nice thing about e-readers like the Kindle is now I can have as many books as I want! I can store hundreds of books on one little device and even easy switch them between devices. (Depending on the book anyway.)
3. Gasoline - Have you seen the price of gas lately? The number hasn’t gone down. At all.
4. Chocolate - Chocolate actually lasts a lot longer than people would imagine. I see nothing wrong with a year’s supply in hand just in case the world goes crazy, zombies go on a rampage, and I have to hide away in my basement. With all the chocolate.
5. Money - Hiding money under your bed is so cliché. I say go techie and just hide it in Paypal or some other online money account. Why risk a fire or some other calamity in your home? And there’s nothing like gazing at your computer screen and imagining how you’ll spend that measly 13.50 you’ve saved up so far.
6. Shoes - There’s just something about a drop down gorgeous pair of shoes. Especially when it goes with the perfect outfit. I think it shouldn’t matter that thirty or more other pairs of shoes have the same effect. Do you?
7. Electronics - I love gadgets. I love smartphones, laptops, tablets – anything geek related. I have so many cords and various other accessories in boxes. Half of them are practically useless since I don’t have the original gadget that used the cord. I’m thinking this means I collect power cords instead of the gadgets themselves.
8. Antique Furniture - I have a thing for furniture I can’t afford to buy. In Coveted, my heroine Nat works at a flea called The Bends. Her goblin boss Bill keeps things so interesting for her. And not in a good way. For the purposes of research, and to indulge my appetite for all things antique, I checked out all sorts of antique furniture. Gilded mirrors, exotic vases, crazy expensive chess sets made from ivory, and candlestick holders that are heavy enough to club people over the head. Don’t get me started on how much I love ornate fireplaces!
I think I’d stack the furniture next to the gold bars. Somehow I’d make them go together.
9. Video Games - Spare time is a premium in my household, but if I had more time, I’d spend it reading books or playing games. And not just games for the X-Box or Wii. I like those, but I love to play games on the iPhone or iPad. There are so many! I can add as many games as I want—as long as I have the space – but most of the simple games I play barely take up a few megabytes. So I sort of have a lot of games on my phone. (And I’m open to adding a few more.)
10. Medication - I think if I was resourceful enough as a parent, and I forget most of the time, I’d stock up on every kind of band-aid, cough medicine, rash ointment, or anything else deemed useful for rowdy kiddos. It seems like every time someone gets the flu or gets hurt, I’m driving to the pharmacy to buy something. So I’m thinking I just need setup space in the basement for those oh-so special occasions.
That’s my list! So, what would you collect from my list? Anything I didn’t talk about?
Shawntelle Madison is a web developer who loves to weave words as well as code. She’d never admit it, but if asked she’d say she covets and collects source code. After losing her first summer job detassling corn, Shawntelle performed various jobs – from fast-food clerk to grunt programmer to university webmaster.
Writing eccentric characters is her most favorite job of them all. On any particular day when she’s not surgically attached to her computer, she can be found watching cheesy horror movies or the latest action-packed anime. She lives in Missouri with her husband and children.
Courtesy of Shawntelle, I have one copy of Coveted to give away to one lucky winner! This giveaway is international and ends 11th April 2012
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED