I’m pleased to welcome author Caris Roane to the blog today. Caris has published numerous novels and novellas, including her paranormal romance series, Guardians of Ascension. Gates of Rapture, book number six, is released December 26th. Please give a warm welcome to Caris.
1) I write in a semi-comatose state, in a dark room, in a big comfy chair, leaning back, eyes closed half the time as the words boil on the page.
2) If I could do it, I would mainline chocolate in one arm and coffee in the other because of the writing buzz I get from both. Being rational at times, however, I only indulge in my favorite substances on occasion.
3) I don’t drink, but wish I could. I’m just too useless the next day and can barely drag myself to my computer.
4) I describe my writing process as a cloud of lightning over my head. Beneath is a cradle of forms that I’ve created over the years to pretend I actually harness all that energy from time to time.
5) If I get hooked on an author, I read and read and read. I read the Anita Blake series three times through last summer. Yes, the entire series by Laurell K. Hamilton. Three times.
6) When I’ve finished writing a book, I have absolutely no perspective about it. I can’t tell if it’s logical, exciting, fun, meets the market requirements, nothing!
7) My favorite time in the writing process—and this happens every time—is when I’ve finished one book and I’m ready to start a new one. That new book feels like gold to me, like something extremely precious and valuable. The story can still be anything I want it to be. It’s fresh, vibrant, alive and I can’t wait to get started. (See #6 for the result.)
8) I keep my writing computer separate from my Internet computer to avoid viruses. I’m extremely paranoid about this. But having lost whole chapters because of computer issues, I think it’s no small thing to have two separate ones. My chest tightens just thinking about it!
9) I don’t know why, but I never lack for ideas. I have a mountain of them rustling around deep in my brain. It’s probably one of my favorite things about my writing process.
10) I love my fans, I love my fans, I love my fans! Often when I’m writing, and I get stuck, I’ll ask the question: what do my readers want! Let me tell you how many jams I’ve gotten out of by asking that question. It also helps me feel connected to my readers.
Caris Roane has published over fifty Regency romance novels and novellas under the pen name, Valerie King. In 2005, Romantic Times gave her a Career Achievement award in Regency Romance. Having had a long-time love affair with vampires, Caris tackled the paranormal genre and built a unique vampire world based on ascending dimensional earths. Her series is called Guardians of Ascension.
The first novel of the series, Ascension, debuted in January of 2011 and was nominated for a Romantic Times Reviewer Choice Award in the category of Vampire Romance. Burning Skies released in May, and the third novel, Wings of Fire, hit the shelves in September. Her novella based on the series, Brink of Eternity, released July 12th as a $.99 e-read! On January 3rd, the fourth novel, Born of Ashes, opened the New Year. The fifth novel, Obsidian Flame released on April 24th. Gates of Rapture, #6, comes out December 26th.
Her most recent self-published project, The Blood Rose Novella Series, launched in May of 2012 with the first title: Embrace the Dark. The second novella will release in the summer of 2012, and is called, Embrace the Magic. Caris lives in Phoenix, Arizona, USA with her two cats, Sebastien and Gizzy.
Caris is giving away a signed copy of the winner’s choice of a Guardians of Ascension novel, bookmarks and romance trading cards. This giveaway is international and ends 11th July 2012.
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED