I’m very pleased to welcome author Amanda Carlson to the blog today. Full Blooded is Amanda’s debut urban fantasy novel featuring kickass heroine, Jessica McClain. So, please give a warm welcome to Amanda.
We all love our shifters, vamps, witches, demons, angels, pixies, fairies, but everyone loves something new. There are some fabulous new characters out there, but how new do we actually want to go? FULL BLOODED, my debut novel out in September, has a big world. Almost every supe you can think of lives in my world.
But I had to make some hard cuts.
Here are the Top Ten Urban Fantasy Characters who didn’t make the cut in FULL BLOODED:
10) Ordinary Garden Gnome - They are adorable, and may pop up here and there in urban fantasy, quite possibly possessed, but you won’t see them in FULL BLOODED.
9) Junk Drawer Fairy - Yes, this would be an asset, but Jessica McClain doesn’t need that much organizing. Maybe in my next series…
8) Toilet Bowl Troll - We’d all like a shiny bowl, and the Toilet Bowl Troll barely ever makes any noise, but I had to make some cuts. This was a hard one.
7) WereAnt - Yes, they’re super strong, since they can carry 5 million times their weight, but do we really need to see that? And, lordy, what would it look like human?
6) Tube Sock Sprite - They are mischievous and are always taking that single sock, but all my characters are determined to keep their pairs together come hell or high water, so it was a no-brainer to keep them out.
5) Tween Drama Queen - This may be one of the scariest characters of all time, in any genre, but you won’t see them in this adult urban fantasy. I decided to leave that complicated character to the YA crowd.
4) Bedbug Demons - They are vicious, and bite the shit out of you when you sleep, good for a villainous scene or two, but they won’t be in my books, mostly because Jessica never enters New York City.
3) Possessed Lice - These multiply a thousand times faster than their human counterparts. I need say no more. I valiantly saved my children from this ordinary fate, and I plan to save my characters from the supernatural counterpart. A nitpicking scene, however tender, will not be covered.
2) The Boogie Man - He’s a great myth, but won’t come alive in my books. You can uncover your eyes now.
1) Mosquito shifter - Yes, it sucks quarts of blood at a time, and it’s scary when it buzzes by you in a rage, and Mosquito’s are quite a fan favorite in Minnesota, where the book is set, but nope you won’t be seeing them in my books. Whew.
I want to thank Book Chick City for letting me stop by and entertain you with meaningless fun! It’s a treat to be able to come by and be silly. FULL BLOODED is out this September in both the US & UK, and even though you won’t find any of the above in my book, you’re in for a supernatural treat. Thanks!
Amanda is a graduate of the University of Minnesota, with a BA in both Speech and Hearing Science & Child Development. She went on to get an A.A.S in Sign Language Interpreting and worked as an interpreter until her first child was born. She enjoys playing Scrabble to an unhealthy degree, shopping trips to Ikea and has a great weakness for tropical beaches. She lives in Minneapolis with her husband and three kids.