Hi Guys! Hope you’re having a great weekend. Here’s the low down on what happened at BCC this week…
- This week’s Debut Author Spotlight is on Lea Nolan, author of Conjure. You can also enter to win a digital e-copy. (ends 27/10/12)
ALL HALLOWS EVE GUESTS
- Angie Fox, author of the new paranormal romance Monster Mash Trilogy, stops by with a guest post: “PNN: Paranormal News Network“. There’s also a chance for you to win an autographed copy of Immortally Yours (ends 31/10/12)
- Author of the Kismet Knight, Ph.D., Vampire Psychologist series, Lynda Hilburn, talks about “Ghosts and Vampires” – she’s also giving away a copy of Blood Therapy (ends 31/10/12)
- Suzanne McLeod, author of urban fantasy novel, The Shifting Price of Prey, talks about “Spooky London“. You can also enter to win your choice of book from her Spellcrackers.com series (ends 31/10/12)
- Jocelynn Drake stops by with a fab short story: “How I Met the Headless Horseman” – there’s also a chance to win her newest release, Angel’s Ink (ends 31/10/12)
- Author of Double Dead and Mockingbird, Chuck Wendig, stops by for an interview.
- Young Adult author, Cornelia Funke stops by the blog to talk about “Halloweenish Things” – Indigo is also offering a giveaway of two signed copies of Ghost Knight (ends 31/10/12)
- 4.5 Star Review – The Tale of the Vampire Bride by Rhiannon Frater
- 4 Star Review – Final Destination (2000) (Friday Film Review)
- 4 Star Review – Double Dead by Chuck Wendig
- 3.5 Star Review – The Witches by Peter Curtis
- 3 Star Review – The Everlasting by Tim Lebbon
- 2.5 Star Review – Hot & Haunted by Saranna DeWylde, Lauren Hawkeye & Megan Hart
- 1.5 Star Review – The Haunted by Niki Valentine
- Rebecca’s Event Report: Leigh Bardugo Blogger Event and Interview
- BCC’s Top 5 Books: The best books you should be reading right now!
I am still reading and really enjoying Megan Hart‘s short story serial, THE RESURRECTED – I am now on Part Three – I’ve decided I’m going to read all the shorts and then do an overall review. If you didn’t catch up with our Weekly Roundup last week then in short it’s an erotic horror short story serial set in a zombie infested world. I’m also still reading David Moody‘s DISINTEGRATION, the 4th book in his Autumn zombie series. It’s good so far, although all the characters are new and there’s no sight of the original characters that were in all preceding books as yet. I hope we will get to them soon though as I miss them, and I’m dying to find out how they’re doing on the small island they found.
After last week’s book buying debauchery, I didn’t buy many this week. Actually I only sneaked in the one, ONCE UPON A CHRISTMAS by Sarah Morgan. I’m gearing up for the festive season, and our annual Christmas event (it’s event galore around here!). I love the cover, don’t you think it’s just so warm and cute? I already own lots of Christmas books, so I’m going through them to see which one’s I fancy reading – I can’t wait to immerse myself in some christmassy romance…
I’m still reading and very much enjoying historical romance LUCKY PENNY by Catherine Anderson this week. It’s a slow burner and I’m still waiting for that delicious moment when the couple finally fall in love 😉 Next on my reading list is CIPHER book number four in Moira Rogers’ Southern Arcana series, which is one I’ve been really enjoying.
On the audiobook front I have finished listening to ANGELS’ BLOOD by Nalini Singh, I’m not sure I loved it quite as much as Carolyn did, funny how books are so objective, but I did really get into the ending. I’ve now started listening to GRACELING by Kristen Cashore, this is a re-read, or perhaps a re-listen. I read the book back in 2010 and as I have been sent it and FIRE the second as audiobooks to review, so I decided to give it a re-listen. I know it’s going to be good as it was one of my top choices for 2010! I actually do love a good re-read, I find it quite comforting, unfortunately there is not enough reading time to do it very often.
This weekend is also my son’s first birthday, as I write this roundup I’m eagerly anticipating his face when he opens his new toys and tries his first ever piece of cake! 😀
By the time you read this, I will have finished THE SIREN by Tiffany Reisz. I picked up this book because I found THE FALL by Guillermo del Torro and Chuck Hogan really unnerving to read and reading this book before bed was really difficult, so I decided to read The Siren, thinking it would be a nice fluffy read. HA! The Siren is anything but. This book is so smoking hot and very, very steamy that it should come with a health warning. I’m now losing sleep because I have to find out what happens next! Just wait till you read my review (which may become a joint review with Carolyn since she is now intrigued by my tweets!) Once one of these books is finished, I am going to start reading THE TAKEN by Vicki Pettersson. I loved her Zodiac series, so this should be really good.
My book buying ban is back on track this week. I haven’t bought any new books at all. Mainly because nothing has really taken my fancy. This will probably change as Christmas approaches.
In other news, I went to see Looper at the cinema. It looked really good, but it seemed to miss the mark. There were some really good bits to it, but I found my attention waning in the middle. Again, a review should be up soon.
This week I have read CHASERS by James Phelan, the ending was a massive “I didn’t see that coming” full review to come soon. I have also picked up SPLINTERED by A.G. Howard and THE NIGHT CIRCUS by Erin Morgenstern both of which I am still reading.
I have recieved a number of books from NetGalley CROSSING THE RUBICON by R.C. Ritcher, OF LIGHT & DARKNESS by Shayne Leighton, ALTERNITY by Mari Mancusi, THE REBELS OF NEW SON by Michael Kinch, FANGTABULOUS by Lucienne Diver and STOLEN NIGHTS by Rebecca Maizel.
Next week I will be finishing Spintered, The Night Circus, and with FINALE by Becca Fitzpatrick being released on 23rd October, I have pre-ordered it and intend to finally finish off the Hush Hush series.
I am feeling quite smug as I read some enjoyable books this week. I finished off MOON OVER SOHO by Ben Aaronovitch and BESIEGED by Rowena Cory Daniells both of which I will be reviewing in November, so stay tuned. I was quite excited when FURY’S KISS by Karen Chance arrived on my Kindle. I really like the Dorina Basarab series so was glad when the next book was released. Another recent release that I read was BLOOD REUNION by Connie Suttle. The allure of this series is fading for me and I think it is time it comes to an end. I can’t see how there are any more bad guys who will to take a chance at murdering the heroine Lissa! This morning I started DEAD HARVEST by Chris Holm and if it continues as it has started it may just hit my 4-5 star pile!
Finally, I was super douper excited when I got offered an early copy of Carolyn Crane’s new book MR REAL. I loved the Dillusionists trilogy so have my fingers crossed this will be just as good.