MEET CAROLYN – Owner, Executive Editor, Reviewer
I created Book Chick City in 2009 because I wanted a place I could share my thoughts on the books I read. Since then BCC has grown significantly and I now have a team of six lovely reviewers. We review urban fantasy and romance (all sub-genres) and I take the upmost pride in maintaining the honesty and integrity of our reviews, which readers have come to expect.
As well as a love of reading, I’m also an animal lover, a Brit chick, and have a serious addiction to books, zombies, chocolate, shopping, and speciality teas (a recent development). I read quite a bit of zombie fiction (I love the petrifying flesh munchers), adore urban fantasy (but must contain a kick-arse heroine) and love snuggling down with a romance, whether it be paranormal, contemporary, erotic, m/m or historical (whatever the sub-genre, a sexy, swoon-worthy hero is mandatory).
Outside of books I love to hike in the mountains and walk long distances, especially in the beautiful Lake District and along the Cornish Coast, preferably with a hot pasty or ice-cream in hand (depends on weather as to which). I also enjoy cycling, my elliptical trainer and, masochistically, being worked out to an inch of my life by my personal trainer (it’s a love/hate relationship).
I live in my little corner of the world with my lovely hubby and our beautiful fluff ball, Bumble – who’s the apple of my eye and spoilt rotten. I love watching movies: rom-coms, horror and big blockbuster disaster flicks are my favourites. I’m also addiction to American TV shows such as The Walking Dead (obviously), The Following, Dexter and Grey’s Anatomy.
- Favourite Authors: Stacia Kane, Nalini Singh, Patricia Briggs, Abigail Roux, Cecelia Ahern, Jill Shalvis, Kylie Scott
- Favourite Genres: Urban Fantasy, Zombie Lit, Paranormal, Contemporary and M/M Romance
- Favourite Series: Downside Ghosts (Stacia Kane) Guild Hunter (Nalini Singh), Cut & Run (Abigail Roux), Vampire Academy (Richelle Mead)
- Favourite Hero: Raphael (Guild Hunter), Ty (Cut & Run), Dmitri (Vampire Academy), Terrible (Downside Ghosts)
- Favourite Heroine: Eleni (Guild Hunter), Sookie (Sookie Stackhouse), Chess (Downside Ghosts), Anita Blake (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
- Favourite Reading Snack: Fruit gums, chocolate, blueberries
MEET LAURA – Managing Editor, Reviewer
I joined Book Chick City in Spring 2010 and as you might expect, I LOVE books, and have done since I was a girl. If I had to choose between books, film and TV, books would win every time! I love to escape into new worlds. My book tastes vary, but I’m a huge supernatural, horror and urban fantasy fan and can’t resist a good love story. I love romances as long as they have a meaty storyline to go with them. Paranormal is my favourite, but I’m also a sucker for a time travel romance and a sexy cowboy or highlander.
I live in Berkshire in the UK, with my bike and barbecue obsessed husband, and in October 2011 I became a mummy. Outside of books, I’m a classically trained singer and work in fashion marketing. I also have a bit of a handbag addiction, I can’t help it, I need them, I really do
- Favourite Authors: Karen M Moning, Catherine Anderson, Kelley Armstrong, Anne Bishop, Patricia Briggs
- Favourite Genres: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Contemporary and Historical Romance
- Favourite Series: Night Huntress (Jeaniene Frost), Mercy Thompson (Patricia Briggs), Kate Daniels (Ilona Andrews), Fever & Highlander (Karen M Moning), Black Dagger Brotherhood (J.R. Ward)
- Favourite Hero: Barrons (Fever), Eric (Sookie Stackhouse), John Matthew (Black Dagger Brotherhood), Acheron (Dark-Hunter), Curran (Kate Daniels)
- Favourite Heroine: Elena Michaels (Women of the Otherworld), Cat (Night Huntress), Anita Blake (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter), Mercy Thompson (Mercy Thompson)
- Favourite Reading Snack: Hmmm chocolate, yes chocolate, and well, chocolate
MEET REBECCA – Copy Editor, Reviewer
What to say about myself… Well, I joined Book Chick City in March 2012 and I’m a university student, currently studying English at the University. My degree is full of Shakespeare and other classic writers, so it’s good to delve into fantasy in my free time!
When not at university my time is spent working at my local shop, but the majority of my time is taken up with reading. I also love shopping and watching new movies, I have a particular love for action and horror (particularly those based on comic books!) I love anything Japanese-inspired and have a large collection of manga (Japanese comics) that fill up a lot of bookshelf space! Somehow I also find time for video games. However, books take precedent over my possessions, and my shelves are overflowing with piles upon piles of books, and I hope to keep it that way for a long time to come!
- Favourite Authors: J.K. Rowling, Anne Rice, Richelle Mead, Kendare Blake, Leigh Bardugo
- Favourite Genres: Fantasy, Mystery, Thriller
- Favourite Series: Parasol Protectorate (Gail Carriger)
- Favourite Hero: Cas Lowood (Anna Dressed in Blood)
- Favourite Heroine: Claire Danvers (Morganville Vampires)
- Favourite Reading Snack: Cup of vanilla coffee and chocolate biscuits
MEET KEARSTIE - Assistant Features Editor, Reviewer
Hmmm… Where to start. First, and at a glance: I’m a 24 year old recent college grad, with wildly messy hair, and at least 2 books, plus my kindle, residing in my ginormous, weapon of a purse at all times. I am an avid reader (duh)… Seriously, if you trapped me on a deserted island, I would choose my books as the chosen necessity, only second to a water purifier and toilet paper. Oh, and a boat, to get off the damn island. But I digress. I am a kindle lover, but with a strong belief in physical books; dog ear-ing a page is far more satisfying than pressing a button, and bookcases are the superior form of interior decoration. I also fancy myself a writer, and am working on my own book whenever I can pry myself away from the brilliant writings of the worlds I so desperately love. So I think that’s all the important stuff. Oh wait… and I really like wine. That’s important. Wine is always important.
- Favourite Authors: Patricia Briggs, Laura Anne Gilman, Libba Bray, Marion Zimmer Bradley, J.K. Rowling, Charlaine Harris, Laurell K. Hamilton, Jane Austen
- Favourite Genres: I assume you’re sensing a theme by now I dabble far and wide, but Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance are always my fallback genres.
- Favourite Series: Harry Potter series (Always), the Retriever series, A Great &Terrible Beauty trilogy, Sookie Stack house series, Mercy Thompson series, A&O series, Avalon series, Trylle trilogy
- Favourite Hero: Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, for their friendship, perseverance, and how they changed me. Mr. Darcy for being my first literary crush. Fred & George Weasley for being my second (and third I suppose). Harry Dresden for being quirky and badass, and Adam Hauptman for being the ideal man, flaws and all.
- Favourite Heroine: Wow I could go on for days here. Ginny and Hermione, for showing that size does not define power, and that smart girls are the best kind of girls. Mercy, because she is simply wicked awesome. Elizabeth Bennett, for her “lively, playful disposition.” And Wren Valere, for her fantastic snark and wit.
- Favourite Reading Snack: Um, did I mention my love of wine yet? Because… Wine. Also, ice cream and pita chips. Separately, I mean.
Please Note: Unless otherwise stated all content is written by Carolyn.
Illustrations Ⓒ Book Chick City – please do not use them or distribute them without prior permission.
If you are an author or publisher and would like to submit a book for review, please read Book Chick City’s REVIEW POLICY for all relevant information.