CAROLYN – Owner / Editor / Reviewer
I created Book Chick City in 2009 because I wanted a place I could share my thoughts on the books I read. Since then BCC has grown significantly and I now have a team of four lovely reviewers. We review urban fantasy and romance (all sub-genres) and I take the upmost pride in maintaining the honesty and integrity of our reviews, which readers have come to expect.
As well as a love of reading, I’m also an animal lover, a Brit chick, and have a serious addiction to books, zombies, chocolate, shopping, and coffee. I read quite a bit of zombie fiction (I love the petrifying flesh munchers), adore urban fantasy (but must contain a kick-arse heroine) and love snuggling down with a romance, whether it be paranormal, contemporary, erotic, m/m or historical (whatever the sub-genre, a sexy, swoon-worthy hero is mandatory).
Outside of books I love to hike in the mountains and walk long distances, especially in the beautiful Lake District and along the Cornish Coast, preferably with a hot pasty or ice-cream in hand (depends on weather as to which). I also enjoy cycling, my elliptical trainer and, masochistically, being worked out to an inch of my life by my personal trainer (it’s a love/hate relationship).
I live in my little corner of the world with my beautiful fluff ball, Bumble – who’s the apple of my eye and spoilt rotten. I love watching movies: rom-coms, horror and big blockbuster disaster flicks are my favourites. I’m also partial to most American TV shows.
- Favourite Authors: Stacia Kane, Nalini Singh, Patricia Briggs, Abigail Roux, Cecelia Ahern, Jill Shalvis, Kylie Scott
- Favourite Genres: Urban Fantasy, Zombie Lit, Paranormal, Contemporary and M/M Romance
- Favourite Series: Downside Ghosts (Stacia Kane) Guild Hunter (Nalini Singh), Cut & Run (Abigail Roux), Vampire Academy (Richelle Mead)
- Favourite Hero: Raphael (Guild Hunter), Ty (Cut & Run), Dmitri (Vampire Academy), Terrible (Downside Ghosts)
- Favourite Heroine: Eleni (Guild Hunter), Sookie (Sookie Stackhouse), Chess (Downside Ghosts), Anita Blake (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
- Favourite Reading Snack: Fruit gums, chocolate, blueberries
LAURA – Managing Editor / Reviewer
I joined Book Chick City in Spring 2010 and as you might expect, I LOVE books, and have done since I was a girl. If I had to choose between books, film and TV, books would win every time! I love to escape into new worlds. My book tastes vary, but I’m a huge supernatural, horror and urban fantasy fan and can’t resist a good love story. I love romances as long as they have a meaty storyline to go with them. Paranormal is my favourite, but I’m also a sucker for a time travel romance and a sexy cowboy or highlander.
I live in Berkshire in the UK, with my bike and barbecue obsessed husband, and in October 2011 I became a mummy. Outside of books, I’m a classically trained singer and work in fashion marketing. I also have a bit of a handbag addiction, I can’t help it, I need them, I really do
- Favourite Authors: Karen M Moning, Catherine Anderson, Kelley Armstrong, Anne Bishop, Patricia Briggs
- Favourite Genres: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Contemporary and Historical Romance
- Favourite Series: Night Huntress (Jeaniene Frost), Mercy Thompson (Patricia Briggs), Kate Daniels (Ilona Andrews), Fever & Highlander (Karen M Moning), Black Dagger Brotherhood (J.R. Ward)
- Favourite Hero: Barrons (Fever), Eric (Sookie Stackhouse), John Matthew (Black Dagger Brotherhood), Acheron (Dark-Hunter), Curran (Kate Daniels)
- Favourite Heroine: Elena Michaels (Women of the Otherworld), Cat (Night Huntress), Anita Blake (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter), Mercy Thompson (Mercy Thompson)
- Favourite Reading Snack: Hmmm chocolate, yes chocolate, and well, chocolate
REBECCA – Proofreader / Reviewer
What to say about myself… Well, I joined Book Chick City in March 2012 and I’m a university student, currently studying English at the University. My degree is full of Shakespeare and other classic writers, so it’s good to delve into fantasy in my free time!
When not at university my time is spent working at my local shop, but the majority of my time is taken up with reading. I also love shopping and watching new movies, I have a particular love for action and horror (particularly those based on comic books!) I love anything Japanese-inspired and have a large collection of manga (Japanese comics) that fill up a lot of bookshelf space! Somehow I also find time for video games. However, books take precedent over my possessions, and my shelves are overflowing with piles upon piles of books, and I hope to keep it that way for a long time to come!
- Favourite Authors: J.K. Rowling, Anne Rice, Richelle Mead, Kendare Blake, Leigh Bardugo
- Favourite Genres: Fantasy, Mystery, Thriller
- Favourite Series: Parasol Protectorate (Gail Carriger)
- Favourite Hero: Cas Lowood (Anna Dressed in Blood)
- Favourite Heroine: Claire Danvers (Morganville Vampires)
- Favourite Reading Snack: Cup of vanilla coffee and chocolate biscuits
BOBBY – Admin / Reviewer
Hi, my name is Bobby, and I have a problem – I can’t stop buying books! I joined Book Chick City in January 2013 as Feature Editor. I will give pretty much anything a go reading wise – although I do have a fondness for paranormal and historical romance, urban fantasy and historical biographies. My music, film and T.V tastes are as diverse as my literary preferences – I love anything that lets me escape from real life into a different world for a couple of hours. I recently graduated from University with a BA in English with the aim of a career in publishing. My fiancé is in the army which means he’s away a lot: on the plus side I have a lot of reading time. In my spare time I enjoy spending time with friends, visiting museums, walking and writing – I would include reading but with the amount of attention I focus on it, it could almost be a job (oh, if only!).
- Favourite Authors: Kresley Cole, Stacia Kane, Sarah Maclean, Kelley Armstrong
- Favourite Genres: Paranormal Romance, Historical Romance, Urban Fantasy, YA
- Favourite Series: Immortals After Dark (Kresley Cole), Downside Ghosts (Stacia Kane), Night Huntress (Jeaniene Frost), Rule of Scoundrels (Sarah Maclean), Women of the Otherworld (Kelley Armstrong)
- Favourite Hero: Bones (Night Huntress) , Terrible (Downside Ghosts), Barrons (Fever), Zsadist (BDB)
- Favourite Heroine: Mackayla Lane (Fever), Cat Crawfield (Night Huntress), Chess Putnam (Downside Ghosts), Kate Daniels
- Favourite Reading Snack: Doritos, Fruit Pastilles, Grapes, Pepper slices, Cereal
VIKKI – Reviewer
Hello! I’m Vikki, the newest member of the BCC team and I love books so much that my friends are beginning think I have some sort of disorder. That’s ridiculous though, I’m not the only one who re-organises other peoples shelves or puts books in series order in shops right? I’m a recent graduate of Nursing and work full time in the hospital but while nursing may be my calling, books are my passion. I have a particular fondness for Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance at the minute.
When I’m not at work I can usually be found chilling on my sofa with my current read and soothing music emanating from my laptop, though a bit of rock does creep in there occasionally ;) I may also be found at the cinema, especially if a new Marvel film is out!
- Favourite Authors: Jim Butcher, Darynda Jones, Ilona Andrews, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Nalini Singh, Kevin Hearne, Patricia Briggs
- Favourite Genres: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Science Fiction, Historical Romance
- Favourite Series: The Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) , Mercy Thompson (Patricia Briggs), Kate Daniels (Ilona Andrews), Black Dagger Brotherhood (J.R. Ward), Charley Davidson (Darynda Jones), The League (Sherrilyn Kenyon)
- Favourite Hero: Acheron (Dark-Hunter), Curran (Kate Daniels), Bones (Jeaniene Frost), Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher), Zsadist (J.R. Ward)
- Favourite Heroine: Mercy Thompson (Mercy Thompson), Charley Davidson (Charley Davidson), Elena Deveraux (Guild Hunter), Kate Daniels (Kate Daniels), Gin Blanco (Elemental Assassin)
- Favourite Reading Snack: Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappachino (Starbucks) or a brew if I’m in the house
Please Note: Unless otherwise stated all content is written by Carolyn (Owner/Editor).
Illustrations Ⓒ Book Chick City – please do not use them or distribute them without prior permission.
If you are an author or publisher and would like to submit a book for review, please read Book Chick City’s REVIEW POLICY for all relevant information.