CAROLYN – Owner / Editor / Reviewer
I created Book Chick City in 2009 because I wanted a place I could share my thoughts on the books I read. Since then BCC has grown significantly and I now have a team of four lovely reviewers. We review urban fantasy and romance (all sub-genres) and I take the upmost pride in maintaining the honesty and integrity of our reviews, which readers have come to expect.
As well as a love of reading, I’m also an animal lover, a Brit chick, an LGBT supporter, and have a serious addiction to books, zombies, chocolate, shopping, and coffee. I read quite a bit of zombie fiction (I love the petrifying flesh munchers), adore urban fantasy (but must contain a kick-arse heroine) and love snuggling down with a romance, whether it be paranormal, contemporary, erotic, m/m or historical (whatever the sub-genre, a sexy, swoon-worthy hero is mandatory).
Outside of books I love to hike in the mountains and walk long distances, especially in the beautiful Lake District and along the Cornish Coast, preferably with a hot pasty or ice-cream in hand (depends on weather as to which). I also enjoy cycling, my elliptical trainer and, masochistically, being worked out to an inch of my life by my personal trainer (it’s a love/hate relationship).
I live in my little corner of the world with my beautiful fluff ball, Bumble – who’s the apple of my eye and spoilt rotten. I love watching movies: rom-coms, horror and big blockbuster disaster flicks are my favourites. I’m also partial to most American TV shows.
- Facebook (Book Chick City)
- Facebook (Carolyn Storer)
- You Tube Channel
More About Me:
- Favourite Authors: Stacia Kane, Nalini Singh, David Moody, Patricia Briggs, Abigail Roux, Cecelia Ahern, Dan Wells, Jill Shalvis, Kylie Scott,
- Favourite Genres: Urban Fantasy, Zombie Lit, Paranormal, Contemporary and M/M Romance
- Favourite Series: Downside Ghosts (Stacia Kane) Guild Hunter (Nalini Singh), Cut & Run (Abigail Roux), Vampire Academy (Richelle Mead)
- Favourite Hero: Raphael (Guild Hunter), Ty (Cut & Run), Dmitri (Vampire Academy), Terrible (Downside Ghosts)
- Favourite Heroine: Eleni (Guild Hunter), Sookie (Sookie Stackhouse), Chess (Downside Ghosts), Anita Blake (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
- Favourite Reading Snack: Fruit gums, chocolate, blueberries
LAURA – Managing Editor / Reviewer
I joined Book Chick City in Spring 2010 and as you might expect, I LOVE books, and have done since I was a girl. If I had to choose between books, film and TV, books would win every time! I love to escape into new worlds. My book tastes vary, but I’m a huge supernatural, horror and urban fantasy fan and can’t resist a good love story. I love romances as long as they have a meaty storyline to go with them. Paranormal is my favourite, but I’m also a sucker for a time travel romance and a sexy cowboy or highlander.
I live in Berkshire in the UK, with my bike and barbecue obsessed husband, and in October 2011 I became a mummy. Outside of books, I’m a classically trained singer and work in fashion marketing. I also have a bit of a handbag addiction, I can’t help it, I need them, I really do
- Favourite Authors: Karen M Moning, Catherine Anderson, Kelley Armstrong, Anne Bishop, Patricia Briggs
- Favourite Genres: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Contemporary and Historical Romance
- Favourite Series: Night Huntress (Jeaniene Frost), Mercy Thompson (Patricia Briggs), Kate Daniels (Ilona Andrews), Fever & Highlander (Karen M Moning), Black Dagger Brotherhood (J.R. Ward)
- Favourite Hero: Barrons (Fever), Eric (Sookie Stackhouse), John Matthew (Black Dagger Brotherhood), Acheron (Dark-Hunter), Curran (Kate Daniels)
- Favourite Heroine: Elena Michaels (Women of the Otherworld), Cat (Night Huntress), Anita Blake (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter), Mercy Thompson (Mercy Thompson)
- Favourite Reading Snack: Hmmm chocolate, yes chocolate, and well, chocolate
REBECCA – Proofreader / Reviewer
I joined Book Chick City in February 2012 and am now an English graduate turned accountancy trainee! When I’m not balancing the books, I have my head stuck inside one and will happily wile away the hours until the last page is turned. I have a particular love of fantasy novels, but will read anything with a good plotline and strong characters, especially if there is a hint of romance along the way.
When I’m not reading, you’ll most likely find me out shopping or indulging in the latest cinema release, especially if there’s a new superhero movie that I can drag my boyfriend along to! I’ve also taken up running in an attempt to balance exercise with my time spent reading or gaming, and I might even get brave enough to enter a race one day. As I live in a village, I also spend a lot of time walking the fields and enjoying the countryside, even taking a book outside every now and again if the English weather holds out.
- Favourite Authors: J.K. Rowling, Leigh Bardugo, Gail Carriger, Lisa Gardner, Brandon Sanderson
- Favourite Genres: Fantasy, Mystery, Thriller
- Favourite Series: Parasol Protectorate (Gail Carriger), Black Dagger Brotherhood (JR Ward), Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella), Mistborn (Brandon Sanderson)
- Favourite Hero: Elend (Mistborn), Casey Hargrove (Chaos Theory)
- Favourite Heroine: Alexia Tarabotti (Parasol Protectorate), Becky Bloomwood (Shopaholic), Alina Starkov (Grisha)
- Favourite Reading Snack: Cup of vanilla coffee and chocolate biscuits
BOBBY – Admin / Reviewer
Hi, my name is Bobby, and I have a problem – I can’t stop buying books! I joined Book Chick City in January 2013 as Feature Editor. I will give pretty much anything a go reading wise – although I do have a fondness for paranormal and historical romance, urban fantasy and historical biographies. My music, film and T.V tastes are as diverse as my literary preferences – I love anything that lets me escape from real life into a different world for a couple of hours. I recently graduated from University with a BA in English with the aim of a career in publishing. My fiancé is in the army which means he’s away a lot: on the plus side I have a lot of reading time. In my spare time I enjoy spending time with friends, visiting museums, walking and writing – I would include reading but with the amount of attention I focus on it, it could almost be a job (oh, if only!).
- Favourite Authors: Kresley Cole, Stacia Kane, Sarah Maclean, Kelley Armstrong
- Favourite Genres: Paranormal Romance, Historical Romance, Urban Fantasy, YA
- Favourite Series: Immortals After Dark (Kresley Cole), Downside Ghosts (Stacia Kane), Night Huntress (Jeaniene Frost), Rule of Scoundrels (Sarah Maclean), Women of the Otherworld (Kelley Armstrong)
- Favourite Hero: Bones (Night Huntress) , Terrible (Downside Ghosts), Barrons (Fever), Zsadist (BDB)
- Favourite Heroine: Mackayla Lane (Fever), Cat Crawfield (Night Huntress), Chess Putnam (Downside Ghosts), Kate Daniels
- Favourite Reading Snack: Doritos, Fruit Pastilles, Grapes, Pepper slices, Cereal
VIKKI – Reviewer
Hello! I’m Vikki, the newest member of the BCC team and I love books so much that my friends are beginning think I have some sort of disorder. That’s ridiculous though, I’m not the only one who re-organises other peoples shelves or puts books in series order in shops right? I’m a recent graduate of Nursing and work full time in the hospital but while nursing may be my calling, books are my passion. I have a particular fondness for Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance at the minute.
When I’m not at work I can usually be found chilling on my sofa with my current read and soothing music emanating from my laptop, though a bit of rock does creep in there occasionally I may also be found at the cinema, especially if a new Marvel film is out!
- Favourite Authors: Jim Butcher, Darynda Jones, Ilona Andrews, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Nalini Singh, Kevin Hearne, Patricia Briggs
- Favourite Genres: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Science Fiction, Historical Romance
- Favourite Series: The Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) , Mercy Thompson (Patricia Briggs), Kate Daniels (Ilona Andrews), Black Dagger Brotherhood (J.R. Ward), Charley Davidson (Darynda Jones), The League (Sherrilyn Kenyon)
- Favourite Hero: Acheron (Dark-Hunter), Curran (Kate Daniels), Bones (Jeaniene Frost), Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher), Zsadist (J.R. Ward)
- Favourite Heroine: Mercy Thompson (Mercy Thompson), Charley Davidson (Charley Davidson), Elena Deveraux (Guild Hunter), Kate Daniels (Kate Daniels), Gin Blanco (Elemental Assassin)
- Favourite Reading Snack: Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappachino (Starbucks) or a brew if I’m in the house
Please Note: Unless otherwise stated all content is written by Carolyn (Owner/Editor).
Illustrations Ⓒ Book Chick City – please do not use them or distribute them without prior permission.
If you are an author or publisher and would like to submit a book for review, please read Book Chick City’s REVIEW POLICY for all relevant information.
Enjoy your visit to the city!